Monday, May 4, 2009

The Grid: History, Use and Meaning

The beginning of this reading seemed a little vague, but then slowly worked it's way into having more substance and meaning that I could relate to. It was interesting to see a comparison of how the grid was used hundreds of years ago and then how it is used today. It really shows how important the grid is for designing. Before I started taking graphic design courses, I never paid any attention to the grid or what it was doing for me visually when I looked at magazine spreads, posters, booklets or anything else that used pictorial composition. I mean, why would I? I didn't even realize its existence. Or perhaps I did and just didn't consciously acknowledge it. But it is amazing to see how for centuries the grid has been simulating our visual and mental appreciation for art and design forms.
If anything it just seems natural that the grid was invented. When you are given a body of text and images to design into something visually compelling without any direction, it can be overwhelming. The first thing you want to do with it all is organize it so that you can better wrap your mind around what you are doing, and using a grid is the perfect way to do that. Whether the grid shows its actual presence, or it is just implied, it is such an important component to designing. Even for people who may not realize there are grids behind layouts, if it was taken away, everyone would notice its absence. The grid puts things in place, and gives each piece of a layout somewhere to belong, and gives our eye something pleasing to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment